Sign in to follow this  
Fordtech

Duterte reveals being denied a US visa in the past

I would guess this has something to do with his rants and behavior towards the US. He never said anything about the US before his election. 

BEIJING - President Rodrigo Duterte said he was once denied of a United States visa when he planned to visit a girlfriend in college.

Speaking to the Filipino community in China’s capital on Wednesday, Duterte complained why the Americans can enter the Philippines visa-free when Filipinos had a hard time securing a travel document to visit the US.

“America? Miski ako hindi ako makapunta doon, hindi ako bigyan ng visa ng mga…” he said.

He narrated that he was asked what would happen if he decided to marry and stay in the US.

“Sabi ko, ‘Mr. Consul, even if you offer me free visas for a lifetime and even if you offer me 10,000 dollars, I’d still return to my country and be a Filipino,’” Duterte recalled and the crowd broke into cheers.

“The problem is, you go to America? You’ll not be issued a visa,” he stressed his point.

He shared that a local government official was also denied of a visa although he was invited to an event by the US government itself.

“The poor man had to travel. He was in poor health. Pagdating dito [uS Embassy], he was denied. Pero sila anytime. They enter the Philippines visa-free. Well, there will always be a time for reckoning. Bakit hindi natin tablahin?” Duterte said and gave a faint smile.

Duterte had been releasing tirades against US, after American officials expressed concerned over the spate of drug-related deaths since the new administration came in.

US President Barack Obama previously advised Duterte to fight crime the right way, after the former Davao City mayor cursed right before flying to Vientiane, Laos for the ASEAN Summit. A bilateral meeting between the two leaders was cancelled after Duterte blurted out expletives. 

• Like 2

Sooooooo............ if he got the US visa he would of earned his 40 credits and got US SSA and then never become RP's number 1 ?

I see it as lucky for him, he got to stay here, clean up DC and also become the Leader of 112 million in population

Lots I could say, but I bite my tongue every time I feel the urge to post my opinion on the politics of the Philippines. Let's just say I really don't feel like being on the next list to come out... The one where people suspected of having opposing opinions need to summarily executed for the good of the Filipino people. Better to just say I agree with whatever the administration of the day thinks is best.

• Like 4

Holy shit, a Steely Dan sighting, good to see you posting again my friend, hope this is not a one off.  Missed hearing your input buddy, hope all is well with you.

• Like 3

Holy shit, a Steely Dan sighting, good to see you posting again my friend, hope this is not a one off.  Missed hearing your input buddy, hope all is well with you.

I was wondering if anyone even noticed I was gone. Haha. I had a nice trip to Bali, then a ton of stuff I had to do when I got back. Keeping up with the US elections takes a lot of time as well (some insane shit there). But 230 brought me out of partial forum retirement with his tremendously anti-American rhetoric, sentiment and actions. Seems like a lot of Americans now putting purchases and business, and even travel on hold till this all blows over or gets even worse and we all are asked to leave. Anyway.... I hope this wasn't too far off topic for the OP (Fordtech). I'll see if I can post a little more. But actually very busy with stuff to be honest. All is good except for all this upsetting news. Thanks for saying hi.

• Like 3

The OP is interesting but mild in comparison. The Philippines is now being ideologically realigned with China and next Russia. Apparently the Filipino people granted their president the right to make the Philippines into a communist nation....

"America has lost now. I've realigned myself in your ideological flow," he said at a business forum in Beijing on Thursday. "And maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world: China, Philippines and Russia. It's the only way."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/10/20/asia/china-philippines-duterte-visit/index.html?client=safari

• Like 1

If the Philippines becomes ideologically aligned with Russia and China I would have to suspect that Americans would not be very welcome. We have an inherently opposing ideology and therefore assumedly would be considered a danger.

I went to the Philippine Embassy on Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles once to get a one-year visa. 

I thought that I had entered a time-warp and was actually in the P.I. The lack of efficiency and noise was overwhelming.

If they want to severely cut-back on tourists seeking "it's more fun in the Philippines", then this would be the way to go.

Perhaps the embassy person interviewing the future President thought: "wow this guy seems like he might run off the rails and become a mass murder at any time."

• Like 1

Lots I could say, but I bite my tongue every time I feel the urge to post my opinion on the politics of the Philippines. Let's just say I really don't feel like being on the next list to come out... The one where people suspected of having opposing opinions need to summarily executed for the good of the Filipino people. Better to just say I agree with whatever the administration of the day thinks is best.

My entire life I have aspired to be that smart. So far I'm a failure, I pretty much say what I think. 

• Like 1

We had let him stay he'd either be still pumping gas or in jail for raping children. 

This from the indivual who demanded that no single bad thought or word be allowed on the thread reguarding the late King of the place where he choses to live.

This from the indivual who demanded that no single bad thought or word be allowed on the thread reguarding the late King of the place where he choses to live.

You compare that piece of shit with the King of Thailand? You must be fucking sick. Or ignorant probably both. 

You compare that piece of shit with the King of Thailand? You must be fucking sick. Or ignorant probably both. 

I am not comparing the former King to the current President. I am comparing your attutide about the respective men. Ignorant, most certainly, some days more than others.

In that he is the leader of a nation where many of us board members live or visit, and being associated with people who are critical might lead to trouble or inconvience for board members or for the boards presence in the country it is the same. 

I have met a lot of nice people in the Philippines and I have some friends there. At present the anti-American stance of President Duterte makes it unlikely that I will visit again while he is President. As I had just built a quite nice house in Sabang this is not a small change of plans for me. I don't like him either, but the contrast in your attitude is so interesting I had to point it out.

On the other board you boasted that you were so heart broken over the death of the revered king that you were wandering the streets dispencing 50 Bhat notes to waitresses to buy flowers and help them morn. Then you come over to the threads about the leader of the Philippines and you call him a "piece of shit."  The problem is not that you are wrong, I am not saying you are wrong, the problem is that his supporters do not see him that way, and they may be easily offended. In Ladyboy land you are ever so sensitive toward your hosts feelings but in the Philippins your posts show nothing but contempt.

I heard that he was raped by a priest as a youth.  If true, wouldn't that place the entire Catholic Church in the P.I. in jeopardy?

The OP is interesting but mild in comparison. The Philippines is now being ideologically realigned with China and next Russia. Apparently the Filipino people granted their president the right to make the Philippines into a communist nation....

"America has lost now. I've realigned myself in your ideological flow," he said at a business forum in Beijing on Thursday. "And maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world: China, Philippines and Russia. It's the only way."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/10/20/asia/china-philippines-duterte-visit/index.html?client=safari

The Russians propped up Cuba as they went broke themselves, I can not see that they want to repete that in Asia.

• Like 1