Sign in to follow this  
beameup

Duterte: 'bye-bye America' and we don't need your money

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte told the United States on Saturday to prepare for repeal of an agreement on deployment of troops and equipment for exercises, declaring "bye-bye America", and we don't need your money.

But Duterte suggested relations could improve under a President Donald Trump. "I like your mouth, it's like mine, yes Mr President. We are similar and people with the same feathers flock together."

Returning his focus to the present U.S. administration which has criticised him over reports of extra-judicial killings in his campaign against drugs, he said:

We do not need you," Duterte said in a news conference after arriving from visits to Cambodia and Singapore. "Prepare to leave the Philippines. Prepare for the eventual repeal or abrogation of the VFA."

The Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA), signed in 1998, accorded legal status to thousands of U.S. troops who were rotated in the country for military exercises and humanitarian assistance operations.

"Bye, bye America and work on the protocols that will eventually move you out of the Philippines," he said, adding his decision would come "any day soon" after reviewing another military deal, Enhanced Defence Cooperation Agreement.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/philippines-duterte-tells-u-prepare-leave-country-164032954.html

What a total asshole:  

"He said Filipino soldiers were “10 times better” than their American counterparts."

Bye-bye America: Rody threatens to scrap VFA

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/bye-bye-america-rody-threatens-000000840.html

The days of the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) are numbered, President Duterte said yesterday, as he assailed the US for treating the Philippines like “garbage,” especially with the suspension of a $433-million funding grant from the Millennium Challenge Corp. (MCC).

The US-led MCC has deferred voting for the re-selection of the Philippines for a second round of grant over “concerns around rule of law and civil liberties” under the Duterte administration.

“I understand that we have been stricken out of the Millennium Challenge, well and good. I welcome it,” the President said.

“They (US) do not look at us kindly. We have this huge problem… actually we do not need it. We can survive without American money. But you know, America, you might also be put to notice. Prepare to leave the Philippines. Prepare for the eventual repeal or the abrogation of the Visiting Forces Agreement,” he said, adding “So, bye bye America and work on the protocols that would eventually move you out from the Philippines.”

“Kainin nyo dolyar nyo (Eat your dollars),” he said in remarks during a visit to wounded soldiers in Zamboanga City.

Asked what would happen to US facilities inside the Armed Forces Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) camp in Zamboanga, the President said, “They should go.”

He said Filipino soldiers were “10 times better” than their American counterparts.

Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla, armed forces spokesman, said at least 107 American troops are still in Westmincom providing training and assistance to their Filipino counterparts in the war against terror.

Signed in 1998, the VFA allows the US to deploy troops on a rotational basis to the Philippines as well as station equipment and facilities inside Philippine military camps subject to certain restrictions.

The US has criticized Duterte’s vicious war on illegal drugs, which has left more than 5,000 suspected drug offenders dead.

Critics said the anti-drug campaign has effectively endorsed summary executions but Philippine officials have denied the allegation.

Angered by the criticisms against his narcotics crackdown, Duterte had said he would review all military agreements with the US and scrap joint drills that, he claimed, were only beneficial to the Americans.

Duterte also declared he would “separate” himself from the US but his officials clarified later he was just stressing the need for a more independent foreign policy.          

Duterte said the US has been treating the Philippines like a “doormat” and “garbage” and has been using aid to impose its will on Filipinos.

“Huwag naman tayong babuyin ng ganun (They should not treat us like dirt). We have this four million (drug addicts) and you are treated as if you are a garbage or a doormat,” the President said.

“And the Philippines historically is like a doormat because every time that they criticize us, it’s always tied to a statement that we’re losing assistance. You picture us as if we’re patay gutom (starving for crumbs),” he said, with expletives.

Duterte said the US should just leave the Philippines if it thinks the country is too dangerous. He also chided the US for raising human rights issues while “turning a blind eye” on the Philippines’ drug problem.

“If you think that there is crime there because we execute people…So why don’t you just leave and if you think that there is extrajudicial killing here –it’s a prevalent one, it’s a virulent practice, you know,” he said, adding the US should bare its real intention for entering into VFA with the Philippines.

“We will never be ready to fight with China. It is you who is egging a fight there. We will never fight with Russia. That’s too far away and besides, we are friends,” he added.

Duterte also shrugged off the US State Department’s move to halt the sale of some 26,000 rifles to the Philippine National Police (PNP), saying the Philippines can always turn to Russia or China for its arms needs.

“Russia came forth and said ‘no problem.’ As I use the word, buy one take one. China is actually, I’ll tell you now…China has been communicating with us everyday and I think I’ll send the defense secretary. They said the guns are ready,” he said.

Duterte is convinced that the MCC’s decision to defer a grant to the Philippines was a last ditch effort of the Obama administration to undermine his leadership.

9 hours ago, Fordtech said:

What a total asshole:  

Duterte is convinced that the MCC’s decision to defer a grant to the Philippines was a last ditch effort of the Obama administration to undermine his leadership.

He's not as dumb as he looks.

• Like 1

Oh thank god .... if we don't have to send money to the Phils maybe my SS check will get bigger ...... :beg::D:D

• Like 2

I honestly don't think I could fault the courage and patriotism of most Filipino soldiers, training equiptment are another matter entirely. Then consider CCC ( Command Connunication & Control ) and if you have any idea how military people fight the military people of another nation and you quickly see that the soldiers of the Philippines are not the equivalent to the soldiers of America. I wonder if president DU30 does not have a different way he measures soldiers. I hope he is not measuring them by how willing they would be to support a strong arm dictator against the people.