Sign in to follow this  
Fordtech

James Taylor cancels Manila show over drug war killings

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/james-taylor-cancels-manila-show-over-drug-war-055212016.html

Grammy award-winning singer James Taylor has cancelled a concert in the Philippines next February in protest at alleged extrajudicial killings during President Rodrigo Duterte's brutal war on drugs.

"I don't think of my music as being particularly political but sometimes one is called upon to make a political stand," he said on his official website, www.jamestaylor.com.

The US star, who beat back drug addiction in his youth before finding global fame with his singing and songwriting, called narcotics dependence a "scourge" and a worldwide problem which sovereign nations should address by lawful means.

"But recent reports from the Philippines of summary executions of suspected offenders without trial or judicial process are deeply concerning and unacceptable to anyone who loves the rule of law."

Taylor offered his "heartfelt apologies" to Filipino fans, saying he had been eagerly looking forward to playing for them and it saddened him to cancel the concert.

Duterte, a fiery populist provincial politician, was elected by a landslide earlier this year largely on a vow to kill 100,000 criminals.

Police or suspected vigilantes have killed more than 5,300 people since July, but the government rejects the allegations of extrajudicial executions and insists those killed by police had resisted arrest and fought officers.

Philippine National Police spokesman Senior Superintendent Dionardo Carlos said it respected Taylor's decision, but insisted it was based on incorrect information.

"Coming to the Philippines (would have been) a firsthand opportunity to prove for himself that there is no alarming EJKs (extrajudicial killings) happening in the country," Carlos said in a statement.

Taylor, 68, rose to fame in the 1970s for writing and performing sensitive songs such as "Fire and Rain" and "You've Got a Friend" and has won five Grammy Awards over his long career.

In recent press interviews he has openly discussed his recovery from heroin addiction in his teens, just before he became globally famous.

Inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame in 2000 and awarded the National Medal of Arts in 2011, he is close to the party of President Barack Obama, who has slammed Duterte over the killings.

Duterte has rejected the criticism, calling Obama a "son of a whore".

Supporters and critics of Duterte as well as Taylor fans flooded the announcement on the singer's Facebook site on Wednesday with comments.

A Facebook user with the name Marel Cabuandra commented: "drug addict has no place now here in the phil. r u one of them?"

Katrina Mae Gaite replied: "Thanks JT. I'm sorry for our president's fanatics attacking you right now."

Ovation Productions was informed about the cancellation only late Tuesday, the local promoter's president and chief executive Renen de Guia told AFP.

De Guia said Taylor was the first foreign performer he was aware of to have cancelled a Philippine concert over the killings.

Taylor was scheduled to have played in Manila on February 25 next year as part of a foreign tour, and de Guia said ticket sales had been brisk.

Both said all tickets sold would be refunded.

Well, there goes half of his yearly earnings. :lol:

Seriously...fair enough if he wants to take a stance on something he knows nothing about except the for BS propaganda touted by the current admin.

I like his music from 30 yrs ago a lot,  but really?

All these has-beens sucking Manila as it's the only place that will pay coz it's on their videoke list?

Far too much uneducated political bullshit going on nowadays

. IMHO of course.

• Like 1

Maybe Kid Rock and Ted Nugent will come and have a concert in Pi. They are the only ones that will perform January 20th in the US for Trumps inauguration. 

12 hours ago, Fordtech said:

Maybe Kid Rock and Ted Nugent will come and have a concert in Pi. They are the only ones that will perform January 20th in the US for Trumps inauguration. 

My guess is that many loudly proclaiming that they will not preform at the Trump inauguration do not have the talent necessary to be asked. In a way it is kind of symetrical to the ugly women claiming Trump harassed them when everyone knew that Trump only harassed hot chicks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Diverdon said:

My guess is that many loudly proclaiming that they will not preform at the Trump inauguration do not have the talent necessary to be asked. In a way it is kind of symetrical to the ugly women claiming Trump harassed them when everyone knew that Trump only harassed hot chicks.

Yes you are correct. here is a list of the artist's that do not have the talent necessary to perform at Trumps inauguration and have turned down requests. Here is the short list to date. Maybe some day they will be better performers. 

1. Elton John

2. Garth Brooks

3. John Legend

4. Adam Lambert

5. The Dixie Chicks

6. Mötley Crüe

7. Celine Dion

8. Ice Tea

9. Hank Williams Jr.

10. Lynyrd Skynyrd

11. Emmylou Harris

12. Andrea Bocelli

13. Kiss

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diverdon said:

So ummm, would you care to post a list of all the artists who did not preform at Obama's inauguration.

I will do a search now then of artist that were asked to perform at Obama's inauguration and turned him down. 

My google search for artist who turned down an invitation to perform at President Obama's inauguration are as follows. I will try and find more if there are any. The list for Trump is growing as we speak. 

1. Al Green

2. Michael Jackson

Why would anyone care who or if anyone performs at a Presidential inauguration? Its not a sweet 16 party. 

• Like 2

On December 24, 2016 at 6:23 AM, Fordtech said:

Yes you are correct. here is a list of the artist's that do not have the talent necessary to perform at Trumps inauguration and have turned down requests. Here is the short list to date. Maybe some day they will be better performers. 

1. Elton John

2. Garth Brooks

3. John Legend

4. Adam Lambert

5. The Dixie Chicks

6. Mötley Crüe

7. Celine Dion

8. Ice Tea

9. Hank Williams Jr.

10. Lynyrd Skynyrd

11. Emmylou Harris

12. Andrea Bocelli

13. Kiss

Were these guys even asked ?         or is this something similar to the I am moving to Canada crowd, but hence have not done so as of yet.

Ted Cruzer said he would play for the crowd but after his antics earlier this year at the convention the Trumper Team gave him a pass.

• Like 1

So I guess the moral of the story is that entertainers are Demos ..... but we knew that already along with 80% of the movie stars .... so who cares .... none of them will ever put their feet under my table anyway .... Trump is being elected president not for a spot on MTV .... I personally don't care if  anyone sings at his inauguration ..... he will still get sworn in .... and Obie can get on with his life and possibly move to his alleged $4,25 million dollar home in California's Rancho Mirage where he can continue his presidential golf legacy .... which by the way is the only one that Trump will not overturn ....

I didn't like it when Obie was elected ..... but dear god .... I didn't carry it to the extreme that the left is doing now .... hatred and malice will only give one hypertension and is bad for ones health .... got that from Dr. Manny .... :D:D  

• Like 4

On December 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Fordtech said:

My google search for artist who turned down an invitation to perform at President Obama's inauguration are as follows. I will try and find more if there are any. The list for Trump is growing as we speak. 

1. Al Green

2. Michael Jackson

But, I did not ask for a list of those who refused to play at President Obama's Inauguration, I ask for a list of all who did not play. 

Let's face facts millions of artists will not play at any given event. When some washed up band like the Dixie Sluts, says they will not play Trumps Inaugration for ideological reasons then anyone with ordinary common sence can see that they are just looking to get some free publicity.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 6:17 AM, Diverdon said:

Inaugural Singer Jackie Evancho’s Christmas Album HIT NUMBER ONE!

The album peaked at No. 93 on the Billboard 200,[5] No. 1 on the Billboard Classical Albums chart[6] and No. 16 on the Billboard Holiday Albums chart

It dosen't matter if the singer is a homely third grader from Podunk Idhao, of if no one sings, come Janurary 20 Donald Trump will be the 45th President of the United States of America.

Anyone can't get used to it, tough luck. Here is a pic of a .45 to commerate the 45th President.

PX9116LP_1200x7821.png

1 hour ago, Diverdon said:

It dosen't matter if the singer is a homely third grader from Podunk Idhao, of if no one sings, come Janurary 20 Donald Trump will be the 45th President of the United States of America.

Anyone can't get used to it, tough luck. Here is a pic of a .45 to commerate the 45th President.

PX9116LP_1200x7821.png

Is that what will be used to take Trump out?

11 hours ago, Fordtech said:

Is that what will be used to take Trump out?

It is my hope that in addition to all his other jobs President Trump will fire some of the worst Secret Service agents and inspire the rest to actually do their jobs. If not then it is hard to say what some wacked out Hillary supporter will use to attack him. Nice friends you have. None of us Republicans ever joked about killing President Obama.

• Like 1